A New Reality: Human Evolution for a Sustainable Future
Hardcover: 256 pages
20 full-color photos
70 graphs and illustrations
Publisher: City Point Press
Publication date: June 26, 2018
Jonas Salk and Jonathan Salk with David Dewane ■ Foreword by Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn
Signed and logo stamped copies of the book are available exclusively on this site.
Unsigned, unstamped copies of the book are available online, and at neighborhood bookstores across the country. Click here to find your nearest local bookstore.
In a world mired in shortsighted solutions, A New Reality takes a global view of our future with an inspiring mix of rationality and compassion. . . . Insightful, powerful, and fascinating.
—Lou Cozolino Ph.D., Professor of Psychology, Pepperdine University and Author of Timeless: Nature’s Formula for Health and Longevity
The Message of A New Reality
In their 1981 book World Population and Human Values: A New Reality, Jonas Salk and his son Jonathan made the observation that world population growth would begin to slow and eventually stabilize.
They hypothesized that when this happened—when the growth rate, after increasing for millennia, began to decline—there would be widespread unrest, confusion, and conflict as the old worldview faded away and a new worldview took hold.
The Salks reasoned that the new worldview, for scientific, evolutionary, and intuitive reasons, had the potential to move away from independent thinking focusing on individual betterment toward a more generous outlook based on interdependency and the well-being of the many.
We now see evidence that these predictions are coming true.
A New Reality: Human Evolution for a Sustainable Future updates and expands the ideas Jonathan Salk and his father explored in 1981. This new edition explains where we are in the evolution toward a new world view. Jonathan offers a vision of aspirational actions and behaviors that are beneficial to humanity and the planet, are necessary for our survival, and are consistent with the full realization of human potential in the new reality we are about to enter.
Explore A New Reality
- Read Elizabeth Blackburn’s powerful foreword for A New Reality online or download a PDF.
- Take a look inside this re-imagined and beautifully designed book.
- This book is the product of many years of thought and research. Read Jonathan Salk’s personal recounting of those years.
- Learn about like-minded organizations.
- Tell us what you think about the book.
- In Re:MADE’s Jody Becker interview with Jonathan Salk: Salk on Salk: A New Reality, the author discusses the history and essence of the book. Listen online or download the podcast.
- Curious about the research behind A New Reality? Check out the Notes from the book.
- Interested in reading more? Start with these Related Readings.